Everything's Bigger in Texas, Even The South Asian Population!
In this podcast I have an exclusive interview with the Executive Director of the Texas House Democratic Campaign Committee, Ana Ramon. We discuss how the South Asian population is booming in Texas and can make a pivotal difference in some of the upcoming local elections.
I had a great time interviewing Ana Ramon and understanding the political impact our community can make in the upcoming elections. Too often we focus on the national election without thinking about the elections that impact us the most and those are the local elections. I was amazed to learn about the booming population of South Asians in Texas but as they say everything is bigger in Texas!
- Did you know that Texas has one of the largest Pakistani, Bhutanese, Sri Lankan and Nepali populations in the nation?
- Did you know that from 2000-2010 the Indian population grew in the DFW area by over 100%?
- Did you know that San Antonio is also having an exponentially growing South Asian population?
- Several local elections are decided with just a few hundred votes, as South Asians we can make a major impact on who our next local representative will be!
- So which elections can we really make a difference?
- Remember to always do your research when it comes to choosing your local politician- find out what their platform is, what they stand for, how their values align with yours and your community and how they intend to fix the problems in your district.
- We are an upcoming and influential minority group in Texas but we are often overlooked.
- But, some politicians are really trying to get to know our community because they find our votes valuable.
- So, this is the prime time to get politically informed, involved and be heard!