Sway to the South Asian Tune
In this podcast, I give a broad overview of the results of my political survey along with an update on the current situation for the Presidential election.
Since I started my political podcast on Radio Azad I realized there is very little data on the South Asian community regarding American politics and policies. Therefore, I conducted this survey to identify what matters most to us in this upcoming election and what are some policies we need to educate ourselves more on. In the podcast I did a basic overview of the hottest topics but here I go into further detail over every single question.
To start with, I had 144 complete responses. I had about an even number of male and females respond and the majority of them were in the 30-49 age group. The next age group was the 18-29 year olds followed by the 50-69 year olds and a few who were above 70 years old. I based a majority of my questions from surveys asking the general public about major policy issues for the 2016 elections which were administered by The Washington Post, The Brookings Institute and The New York Times. In case you're wondering what The Big Issues Of The 2016 Campaign are for America, click on the link. The results for the South Asian Political Survey are below along with my analysis.
- I think for many South Asians, Islamaphobia is a major concern this election cycle.
- I wish I had added in some questions regarding student loans and campaign finance since many people voiced concern over those issues.
- Several people raised issue about the lack of political knowledge and civic engagement the South Asian community had.
- I completely agree and hope that my website along with my segments on Radio Azad are educating more of our community on these political issues.
- Of course there is a small room for error in this survey but I believe it is accurate for the most part.
- I feel the following issues are not fully explored amongst the South Asian community and I would like to discuss them in more detail in upcoming podcasts/blogposts:
- Veterans Issues
- Healthcare (difference amongst ACA and Single Payer healthcare)
- Campaign Finance
- Climate Change
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Immigration Reform
- Thanks to everyone who participated in my political survey and please let me know if you have any further thoughts, concerns or ideas!